Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I was going to do it


I was going to write a post about Jillian Michaels, trainer for The Biggest Loser, who recently said in her interview with Women's Health, "I'm going to adopt. I can't handle doing that [pregnancy] to my body. Also, when you rescue something, it's like rescuing a part of yourself." I was going to write about how awesome I think Jillian is and how her career in physical fitness has impacted American for the better. And then I was going to tell you how disappointed I was when I heard her take on pregnancy and body image. I was going to explain how I had hoped for more from her--from this woman who counsels other women to love their bodies and selves, even when they're far from perfect. I was going to share with you my Ideal Jillian-- one who gets pregnant, goes through the 10 months healthily and models to us women how to be fit and eat right and embrace the stretch marks and weight gain and other stuff I can't write here. And then Ideal Jillian would "get her body back" within a reasonable time, all the while, making Baby the priority and measurements secondary. I'd then ask you this piercing rhetorical question, "Wouldn't American Mommies be better off with an Ideal Jillian?"  

That's what I would have written if I had decided to post on What Jillian Michaels Said About Pregnancy.

But instead, I realized that she's very. much. human.

With real fears.

Just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment