Saturday, June 13, 2009

Quiet

Over the past couple weeks, I’ve sensed God calling me to Himself. It’s not that I’m in a place of rebellion, or even apathy.

There’s just more to be had.

More of God.

More of myself to give to God.

What does this look like for me? It’s more regular time, away, by myself, with the intent to focus on God.

It’s reading a psalm

and then praying it aloud to God.

It’s putting on a quiet worship song and getting on my face.

It’s taking in the lyrics.

It’s sometimes singing them.

It’s talking to God about all the stuff weighing down my heart.

And, then the best part…

I get quiet.

By this time, I’ve emptied myself of petitions and requests and please-do-this’s.

Most of the time, when we’re “done praying,” we’re done. We get up, move on, and check God-time off our list.

I’ve been stopping, though. And waiting. And staying beyond that point.

It has become the sweetest part.

The most saturated with the Spirit.

It’s in the quietness that I sense Him most.

That I remember who he is.

That he silently assures me of who I am before him.

It’s in the quietness that I regain my strength, my vision, my focus.

My heart is renewed and energized and

At peace.

Once again.

God told his people through the prophet Isaiah,

In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength

And I’m discovering its truth all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment